Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Monday Night Computer Skills Volunteer Experience

Class Room SceneImage via Wikipedia
I am a volunteer teaching senior citizens computer skills. Yesterday I had the pleasure of introducing them to the world of social media. It was an extremely gratifying experience as it enabled me to focus on how I saw Web 2.0 and how I used it to keep myself abreast of the latest worldwide and industry news. I cut "The Time Warner Cable Cord" a year and half ago. Using only the internet for Movies, Shows, and News can be challenging but services like @ @ @ @ @ and @ helped. I still look to the day when all the shows I want to watch are video streamed from my EVO, HD TV, PS3etcFor Social Media industry news the ones to follow are @equalman @jowyang @GuyKawasaki @NealSchaffer @adamhirsch @jeffpulver and @mashable
 
In college I tutored technical Physics while studying for my engineering science degree. I very much enjoyed seeing how I could actually help people much older than I am and seeing how it inspired them to do betterThis experience was very similar to my present experience except that now I am teaching people about social media and how to take advantage of itOverall my experience has been a rewarding one and it has inspired me to start blogging again.  I will continue to give these social media lectures in my community. So stay tuned. Finally, check out my Introduction to Social Media presentation on http://slidesha.re/omQO8z
Enhanced by Zemanta

5 comments:

  1. Nice blog Jason. Wishing you continued success. God bless.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amen! I ditched my Time Warner this year. Took a little getting used to, but now I wonder why I ever wasted my money. I love my Netflix!
    ~A

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog Jason. I think it's great that you are volunteering. Very inspiring. Too bad more peolpe aren't like you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great to see you volunteering Jay! To whom much has been given- much shall be required. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool - Kudos to you for sharing your knowledge in such a meaningful way!

    ReplyDelete